Hello, I’m Stefanni Brasil. Brasil is my real name, how cool is that?! :)
I am the co-founder of hexdevs, where I research, design, and develop programs that help you become a Ruby expert developer.
I am a self-taught developer, avid reader, and cats lover. I write here on my blog, host live Open Source Thursdays coding sessions and co-host the hexdevs podcast.
I’ve been giving lightning talks at local meetups, on RubyConf Sao Paulo, and RailsConf. In 2021, I delivered a talk at my first RubyConf.
I am a huge believer that everyone is capable of achieving whatever they want for their lives. I’m driven by curiosity and kindness.
I write on the hexdevs blog and newsletter about Software Development. Sign up here to get actionable insights, tools, exercises, and invitations to events.
Talks & Podcasts
I’ve done a few talks and interviews:
- 🎧 Discussing Tech Careers with Thiago Araujo and Stefanni Brasil of Hexdevs - Remote Ruby.
- 📺 Perceptual Learning == More Ruby Experts? - RubyConf 2021.
- 🎧 Perceptual Learning with Stefanni Brasil - Code with Jason.
- 📺 How to contribute to Ruby on Rails - WNB.rb.
- 🎧 Things I wish someone had told me when I was learning to code as a self-taught developer - New Relic’s Launchies Podcast.
- 📺 Should I go with Rails API-only? - RailsConf 2021.
- 🎧 RailsConf Scholars: 2021 Remote Edition - Greater than Code.
- 📺 Developing Yourself as a Junior Developer - Vanruby meetup.
- 📺 Rails 5 System Tests - Vanruby meetup.
Fun facts about me
I am from Brazil and I live in Vancouver, BC ⛰️🌧️
I’ve worked with lots of things in the past: as academic research, writer and translator; English and French teacher. The latest one was as a Ruby developer.
I love learning, including how to learn more effectively. I like to see how much I can change, and how much I can become a better version of myself. And help others avoid the mistakes I made (and continue making).
Once I get interested in something, I’m pretty good at extracting what’s useful for me and changing my habits until I get a positive feedback loop. A few things I’m proud to have learned by myself:
- I learned English when I was a teenager by listening to songs and watching movies. My family didn’t have lots of money to invest in my Education. Also, I lived in such a tiny city that school languages didn’t even exist.
- I adopted a whole foods plant-based diet at the end of 2019. I’m super healthy effortlessly. I help the planet and reduce animal cruelty as a bonus.
- I completely rewired my brain to have a growth mindset and be more positive. I even read self-help books now. All thanks to CBT - Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy and Mindfulness Meditation.
- I read a lot about anything. I basically eat books for breakfast. I also apply what I learn from them, and share my lessons throughout my writing.
- I have a degree in Portuguese & French Literature. I also won a scholarship to study at the University of Coimbra - Portugal - for 2 years. I loved spending my time researching Science Fiction and Media Culture.
- I learned how to code when I was finishing my Literature degree. I enrolled in a Computer Science degree later but dropped it after 1 year because I achieved my dream of moving abroad.
- I’m on my path to being the first millionaire in my family. I want to democratize Mental Health and Coaching services. I believe that gaining economic power is key to do the changes I want to see in the world.
- I love exercising! I run, I ride my bike, I do yoga, I do lots of bodyweight exercises. I do ~15 pushups every day (a tiny habit).
- I dream of crossing North America in an R.V., but I don’t think my cats would like this idea.
- One of my hobbies is Hand Lettering with Procreate.
I am @stefannibrasil on Twitter. Say hi :)
If you have something interesting to ask or to discuss, you can find me at hi at stefannibrasil dot me.